Fishing the Saugeen River
Bait, lure or fly? No matter what your prefer you'll get hooked on Saugeen Country! Upstream from Lake Huron you will find one of Ontario's best trout and salmon runs. The Saugeen River's naturally sheltered feeder streams and spring-fed lakes are also prime waters for brown trout, bass and pike.
Sample local hospitality in area hotels, motels, campgrounds, B and B's and eateries. Local shops stock a wide variety of tackle bait and outdoor supplies.
- Fishing Map - Download a large map (207k) to see all of the lakes and rivers of the area. (1211 x 802 pix)
- For more fishing information be sure to check out the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
- Looking to start your fishing adventure in Walkerton? They have some excellent resources. Check out their website for some great fishing information.
- River Etiquette (courtesy of Bruce County)
- Catch and Release (courtesy of Bruce County)
Local Fishing Groups and Organizations
- Ontario Steelheader's Association - this organization does an excellent job of managing Denny's Dam Conservation Area for Saugeen Conservation. They are very involved with fish and fish resources on the Saugeen River. Check them out here.
- Happy Trout - this group of dedicated people (a branch of Trout Unlimited Canada) have been working on the Saugeen River for many years improving habitat and studying the fish species along the Saugeen River. Check them out here and go to Ontario Chapters - Happy Trout.
- Lake Huron Fishing Club - ongoing for a number of years, these volunteers are involved with numerous activities and special events as well as a fish hatchery. They are a "conservation based sport's club formed in 1983 by a dedicated group of anglers on the Ontario shore of Lake Huron. They also participate in stream improvements along the Saugeen River as well as educational programs for schools. Check them out here.